I had a hard time keeping my 350SDL "reined in" to under 80 on the freeway/interstate. Nearest I can describe the drive and ride is to compare it to flying a new Cessna 177RG on a cool, clear day - a quiet hum and very smooth ride with just a very slight pressure left or right on the wheel to go exactly where I wanted it. 'An absolute pleasure to drive. I'd better /hush, though, y'all'll be snappin' 'em up, and I won't get a chance at one. ;<)

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Penoff via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: "Dan Penoff" <dpen...@verizon.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 2:56 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] THIS MERCEDES BENZ IS IN INCREDIBLE ORIGINAL CONDITIONThroughout!

After driving the 350SDL for a few days I can understand Wilton's affection for these cars. While I will say that it's not as plush or comfortable as my W140s or W220, it drives almost the same as a vergasser. The OM603 is amazingly smooth, powerful and quiet compared to the OM617, which is the only MB diesel I have had direct experience with up to now. I find it interesting that it seems like it wants to go fast, with me thinking I'm at speed only to realize I'm well over it!

I do get some vibration in the cabin at idle, but a new set of motor mounts is in and waiting for me at the dealer. I'll put them on this weekend and see if that helps. Otherwise, apart from the smell and minor noise at cold startup, it's tough to tell this is a diesel.

It definitely seems heavier than the later cars, but I'm not sure if this is due to steering geometry or what.

I've got nearly 400 miles on this tank of fuel and I still have over a 1/4 tank left, too.

Dan

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad