We had a club event at a local shop.  The owner gave a presentation on fuel
injection and ACC in the current classic cars (1970-1990).  Most of the stuff
was about Bosch (when Bosch was good) There are a plethora of items in the
injection system that have screws that tempt owners to do stupid things that
render the cars undrivable.   He pointed out the many places that fuel
distributors, electronics and such have screws that get twisted by idiots
thinking they can improve the very overly engineered and incredibly
specifically set parameters that would require a test bench to correct.  The
take away was that if you put a tool to these things you may need to pay many
thousands of dollars to put it right.

The ACC was less screw driver prone.  Most of the issues are related to limited
longevity and the parts not being available anymore.  There is a need for these
orphan products to once more be available and we need to make a concerted and
widespread effort to do interweb searches for the parts by number and such so
that the fabricators take notice of a growing demand.

Somebody can make a very good living if they were to concoct a vacuum pump
rebuild kit for the classic diesels.  The kits are NLA and this is sidelining a
great number of cars.  There was also mention of Beckman being a very worthy
rebuilder of electronics.  The opinion of the presenter was that the
replacement parts were superior to OE parts, and probably more available.  The
C series seemed to have had an ignition module that was a massive failure and
the factory went bankrupt, leaving car owners mad and dealers stripping the
parts from floor models to keep the other cars on the road.

---
clay