Oldest son texts me today that his car (1998 S420) is running rough and is
throwing a CEL.  Hmm.  I get home and he starts it up. Sounds OK, but he points
out that there is some vibration at idle and it seems to be a little sluggish.

I pop the DAS computer on it, run a full set of diagnostics, and the first
thing I see is a P303 error.  Ah-hah!  Bad #3 coil.

Weird brand coil on Amazon is under $30, but won’t get here until Saturday
since it’s too late to make their next day cutoff.  I dig into Advance Auto’s
web site and find a store nearby that has one along with a new boot (most
places sell these things sans boot, or so it seems.)

Between a 30% off coupon and a $5 SpeedPerks coupon I have the whole bill is
around $70 out the door.

Get home, pop the hood, in under 10 minutes a new coil is installed and he
claims it’s never felt smoother.  He says he thinks it’s been going out over a
period of time.

I love those easy fixes.

Coming up this weekend on the W126:

Transmission mount, center vent vacuum actuator and new breather pipe and
O-ring.

Dan