On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 23:44:16 +0000 Rick Knoble via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Craig sez:
>
> >‎Is there a way to keep it from >happening?
>
> Don't boot into Windows. :)
>
> Problem solved.
>
> You're welcome.

Cute, but not what I was hoping to hear ...

I would much rather keep in booted to Linux, but Citrix doesn't write
GoToMeeting software for Linux, nor does Garmin write a GPS update
program for its receivers.

In addition, our local grocery chain requires a recent web browser so I
have to use SeaMonkey 2.39 on Windows.

I tried updating our Linux to CentOS 7 to use a browser newer than
SeaMonkey 2.17, but could not get it to function like CentOS 5.12, so I
gave up in great frustration and swapped the CentOS 5 disk back in our
desktop (fortunately, I installed CentOS 7 on a new disk!).

> I have the same problem when I boot into Windows for the tax season.

I recall XP having this problem of svchost.exe commandeering resources at
one point, but it went away somehow.

Craig