A vast majority of that is all too true...

Bob Rentfro
Dieseler since '78

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hendrik Riessen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] some info please

While on the subject of diesel Mercs, a bloke on the ozvets list posted this
in regard to MB diesel ownership (I think the person who wrote drove a
240D).

How to tell if your Mercedes-Benz is a diesel:

1. While driving, you find that you really look forward to going downhill.

2. You need a more powerful radio - not to be cool, but just to hear it over
the engine clatter.

3. You drive very carefully and defensively - you have learned that your car
has "same-day throttle response".

4. You begin to suspect that your entire car runs on vacuum.

5. Your car inexplicably veers towards the exit when you drive by a truck
stop.

6. Your hands are always various shades of black.

7. You look in the rear view mirror frequently, to see how much black smoke
you are putting out today.

8. When you buy fuel, the pump is always "around back", away from "normal"
people.

9. Someone mentions actor Allen Alda, and you think they are talking about
the wrench you use to adjust fuel ratios.

10. The parts guy at Mercedes stealership has been over to your house for
dinner.

11. Instead of "flooring it", you tend to say "all ahead flank!".

12. You are the only person in the neighborhood who think your car exhaust
smells good.

13. You know where the cheapest diesel fuel station is.

14. Friends often hear you speak of Diesel Purge, MPG, smoking/fogging
somebody at night, or bragging about that rare opportunity to race the local
bus!

15. your grandmother thinks your car is cool.

16. If u are seen in parking lots, dumping all manner of things into the
tank filler, and they arent diesel fuel......

17. you keep a few coat hangers in the trunk 'to fix
stuff with'

18. There is an electrical cord running from your hood to the house each
winter.

19. Your car has a reputation among tailgaters as being the one NOT to
tailgate.

20. No matter what color your car is or how often you wash it, the left
corner always looks black.

21. your car 'marks its spot' everywhere you park yet 'never burns a drop of
oil' !

22. you tell your back seat passengers 'don't even try to open the windows,
they haven't worked in 15 years''.

23. if something is wrong it will likely 'self heal' within a short time..
say a year..!

24. People are always saying how delicious your exhaust smells if you're
running WVO.

25. it makes an awfull lot of noise so you can't order drive through
hamburgers.

26: Your trunk lid and bumper are covered in black soot.

27. Everytime you fuel up, the attendant comes out and says "Sir, thats the
diesel pump"

28: During the winter, you find yourself borrowing other people's car, just
so you dont have to wait for yours to warm up

29: You can go at least 500 miles without refueling

30: Your engineering friends refer to the throttle linkage as "something out
of my last Dynamics exam" or "the reason why the Germans lost WW2"

31: Your girlfriend tells you "I cant believe you still drive that thing"

32. You can leave your engine running while filling up and pi** off the
cashier.

33. You get to use cool words like: "prechamber," "banjo bolt," and
"wastegate."

34. The guys at the tire shop don't know how to turn your engine off.

35. Yours is the only running car once an EMP bomb goes off. Hybrids will
literally be fresh meat.

36. A battery dying out on you while you're on the road will not leave you
stranded.

37. Once all the petroleum in the world runs out, you'll know you've got
waste veggie oil to fuel your car. It will run forever!

38. In certain areas, you don't need a smog/emissions test.

39. You can drive cross-country on a single tank of fuel, and perhaps back.

40. Replacing the shut of mechanism may be catastrophic!

41. The only spark your car ever has is when it's freshly detailed!

42. When people ask its 0-60 time you just laugh

43. If someone asks how many miles it has you reply (in my case 228k) and
they are amazed and we just shrug "she's still getting broken in"

44. When you pull up next to a 1968 200D, you see an oppurtunity to finally
win a race.

45. The best races are against minivans loaded with kids going to the
park...and its always a close race.

46. your honda friends think their accord with 70k is rock-solid
reliable(when its in a shop for cv joints....) and call you for a ride in
the car they once called an unreliable money pit.

47. you know its parts better than those of your partner.

48. When you drive another car you grind the start because you cant hear or
feel the engine

49. You start speed up before LONG before hills

50. You turn the key to the on position for a few seconds before actually
cranking the engine.

51. If its still running.

52. You walk in the store and come back out to your car and the engine was
left running the whole time.

53. You tell people you floor it at every green light, but you don't tell
them it's a slow car.

53. Everytime you get behind the wheel of your friends gasser, she asks
"what are you waiting for" when you turn on the key and wait to start the
car.

54. You stare at your gasoline cars tachometer and try like hell to figure
out what time it is.

55. You are irrationally proud of your high mileage, and have actually
thought about adjusting your odometer up to a really big number.

56. You have a hand pump in the engine!

57. Noisy cars don't bother you anymore.

58. You know if a diesel is coming near you just by the sound.

59. You can make cars' alarms go off in a covered parking lot (well, mine
does if I step 1/4 on the pedal).