John Berryman wrote:
>  Some of these earlier engines were purported to have soft
> camshafts. I'm not sure if the earlier turbodiesels were affected. Mine
> runs better than all the later versions I have.

I believe the hard cams were a mid-year substitution in 1979 on 616
and 617. My 1979 was made in the summer of 79 and has the hard cam.
In 1980, the cams got more lift and duration, and rated power went
up about 10% across the line.

What year is your 116? I don't think the 116 ever got EGR, which
should make a 1980 feel stronger than the average 126 or 123 turbo.
My '79 w116 can peel out from a standing start, but isn't that fast,
it runs out of breath pretty quick at higher rpm. Gets 27 mpg at 80mph.