I checked, and it looks like I bought Xeon X5355 2.66GHz/8M/1333 Quad-Core Processors SLAEG. Cost me $55.00 for the pair in May of 2014. I think I went with the SLAEGs because their idle power consumption is lower.

I went with the "Big Jim" SLAED because then the two systems
(one of which was already using them) will be identical.

The un-upgraded 1,1 seems to draw 250-350W, which puts it in the
same range as the G5 quad IIRC.  I don't have numbers for the SLAED.

I would have to go back and check to see if that was the reason. They’re still G0 stepping, I think.

Both are G0, IIRC.

Do you follow the MacPro 1,1 thread on MacRumors? That’s where I got all my information.

I use Google, then trawl through the results. Some of those thousand-entry
threads in the various BBS systems really suck.

-- Jim