It is my understanding that the EPA at some point  mandated that  a mixture of
zinc and phosphorus known as  ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate) be reduced
or  eliminated as an additive from  motor oils because it is damaging to
catalytic converters. I am interested in this issue because I have older cars
(1960 Olds 1991 Volvo) with the original gasoline engines, and I have a number
of older quarts of motor oil. I have a couple of questions about this:

1. Was zinc phased out of motor oil, and , if so, when was it eliminated?

2. Was it reduced/eliminated from diesel rated oil?

3. Is there a way to know from the writing on the can how much zinc it contains?

4. Is there a way to determine from markings on the can the age of a given can
of oil?

5. Does canned/bottled engine oil have a shelf life?

6. Should a container of older motor oil be shaken to mix the ingredients
before being poured?

7. Would cans of "STP" additive from the seventies and eighties contain zinc?

8. Is the "zinc" issue one I even  need to be concerned about?

9. Would an old (70's era) can of racing motor oil contain a greater amount of
zinc?

!0. Might this topic have already been discussed in a previous thread?

Jerry

82 240D