When I had my TD done years ago, the old mech put the round end of a ball peen hammer on the bottom of the BJ (arm clamped in a big vise) and whacked it a coupla times with another BFH, which popped it right out. Crude but effective. On the SD I think the mech had some kind of press, or maybe whacked it too, I don't remember.

On both the cars the mech used the proper MB press to slide in the new BJs. On the TD, Rusty had sent me some crap POS, the flange broke when he was trying to press it in. Then he replaced it with a Lemforder and it pressed right in easypeasy. Others have bodged up a press using a generic HF press but there is a bit of an angle that makes the MB press easier to use.

--JC