I've not yet done ball joints on a 123. the shape is similar to a 126. on the 126, you can whack the ball joint out with a MFH (2-4 lb hammer) On the 126, you have to take off the caliper, the hub, the disk rotor, and UCA to free the wheel carrier. then you put the carrier in a vise, knock out the old ball joint and use the MB special tool to press in the new one. Because it goes in at an angle, the MB special tool makes it easy. If you can get the front end up high enough (like on a lift) you can beat out the old BJ on the car. in that case, you could probably use a BFH, (10 lb) but it is probably a 2 person operation. (one to hold the drift pin or ball peen hammer.) On the 126, I was able to borrow the special tool from Q, and that made the installation slick and easy.

When you have the carrier loose, it may be better/easier/cheaper than buying or making a special tool to take it to a front end shop and let them press in the new ball joints. I've done that for ball joints, wheel bearings, the 124 LCA outer bushing etc.

Michael Esh via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
June 10, 2016 at 7:49 AMvia Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach>
Thanks Joel.

Michael Esh