Even in places where you can select your power company the power gets
delivered over the same lines, regardless of supplier.  So it's probably no
better (and maybe worse) than the Duke monopoly.   Here in NC, the Duke
monopoly got split up but (little-by-little) came back together.  We had
Progress Energy when we moved here 11 years ago but now it's Duke Energy
Progress and I expect the "Progress" part won't last.  On the other hand, I
consider our electrical power to be the best bargain of the utilities.