You must live by the rule, “Everything is negotiable”.

Nearly every retailer has or will negotiate, except for maybe Dead Sam.  It
might not be for money, but maybe for something like free delivery, or a gift
card.

I went to buy a new TV a few years back.  It’s the week before Thanksgiving,
it’s a national retailer (H.H. Gregg) and they have a 60” plasma TV I want.
Now I know they’re selling it at rock bottom so I won’t get concessions on the
price.  However, I don’t want to pay them $75 to deliver it because that’s a
rip.

Easy-peasy.

Go in, make nice with the sales guy, have him start writing it up, then mention
how I’m going to transport it in the back of my car laying down (a BIG no-no on
larger TVs, especially plasma.)  He starts freaking out.  “You can’t transport
these laying down! The glass will crack for sure!”

“Oh, gee, I didn’t know that.  I don’t know anyone with a minivan or pickup
truck, and I don’t have money in the budget for $75 worth of delivery charges.
Guess we’ll have to call it off and I’ll just have to shop around for something
cheaper somewhere else."

Salesman glances around to see if anyone is within earshot.

(whispering) “If you can wait and take delivery on Saturday (this is Monday) I
can slip it on a truck that will be in your area and delivery it for free.”

“Deal”.

Everything, I mean everything, is negotiable.  You just have to ask.  What’s
the worst thing that can happen?  They say no.  But when they do, the door is
open for them to suggest some other concession.

Dan graduate of Karrass “Negotiate to Close” seminar