Too bad you didn't catch it before it left you stranded and took out a belt. I generally replace them "just cuz.." whenever I change the timing chain or if the car hits 300,000 miles (or multiples thereof)

Congrats for the high mileage.

Robert Massmann via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
July 27, 2016 at 7:56 PM
Well it finally happened, I had to have my 95 Mercedes E300D towed home. The serpentine belt tensioner pulley seized. I have attached a photo of what was left. The bearing assembly got very hot as you can see. I initially notice my ABS light turning on and of then all the lower warning lights came on dimly. The next thing I noticed was the engine temp starting to climb. Luckily I was close to an exit and got off the interstate. Toward the end I lost all power for steering, but could still steer, but with difficulty. Parked in an open lot and called (AAA). Engine got hot but was not in the red. I had replaced the alternator last fall, but didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary when I was reinstalling the belt.

Granted, I have just turned over 445,000 miles on this car, it is serving me very well for the last ( 7 –8 ) years that I have been driving it. Would like to see the 1/2 million mile mark, which might take another ( 2 ) years.

Regards,

Robert Massmann
1995 E300D 445,000 miles