Hi Kevin,
You've got it exactly. People complain that the $250 cable is expensive but the
software is free and I believe Dan spent way more money on the MB system.I'm
running the software in Virtualbox on my Mac since it requires Windows. Seems
to work just fine. I originally bought it for my '98 but it works on my '05
too. I don't remember when the CANBUS cars started but mine won't cover those,
it was an extra $100 for the cable that does both...
There are a bazillion little changes you can make, of course you can read the
OBD-II codes but you can get car specific codes, you can change the timing a
little bit, adjust the injection quantity a little, correct for slight speedo
discrepancy due to tire changes etc.
Today I've been using it to track turbo output vs MAF (mass air flow) to be
sure the MAF is working correctly. I think it is but for some reason the turbo
is being slow to spool. The software has the ability to graph over time:
http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz353/curtludwig/VCDS_05_Golf_2_zpseeafy7qi.pngThats
 my car this afternoon. The lavender line is accelerator input, yellow is the
turbo, red is the MAF and orange is engine speed, you can see below I've got
engine temp and barometric pressure turned off to un-clutter the graph a
little.I did some runs with EGR actuation too but it made for a graph that was
hard to read.
I *think* that the slow rise in turbo means its bad. I've seen some other
graphs where turbo pressure rises quickly with increasing engine speed and
stays high, on mine it significantly lags accelerator input. The car feels like
the turbo isn't spooling until 2200-2500 rpm, then it pulls like a freight
train.
Maybe I should do another graph with power output...
-Curt