I'll add another vote in favor of MSE.  The IT guru's I used to work with
all recommended it for private use because (a) doesn't slow down the
machine, 2: it's free, and iii. set it and forget it.  I think this is one
thing that M$ got right.  No complaints at all using it at home on Vista
and Win7.  When I switched my Vista PC's over to MSE, there was a very
noticeable increase in system speed across the board.  I had access to
enterprise versions of McAfee and Symantec, and MSE didn't use nearly the
resources that those two programs use.

You should also set up the Win7 firewall as well.