So where do you get the wood? Around here, firewood is relatively expensive.
The other alternative is to get it yourself but that requires a fair amount
of equipment to do right. Also a dry place to store it etc.

Also wonder about your insurance company. Around here, a woodstove is
becoming an option that most insurance companies are not happy about.
"Proper" installation is expensive and takes a fair amount of space.

We are fortunate enough to have fairly reasonable natural gas rates so far.
My 1800 square foot 2 storey costs, on average $150 per month to heat
(including heating water). That is on a budget plan that runs throughout the
year so we pay in the summer as well.

Randy B in Winnipeg