If it's bad enough to clog the in-tank filter (strainer) you'll need to
drain the tank. Clean/replace that strainer, and maybe clean the tank.

I got a load of very wet fuel about 10 years ago and it rusted up the inside
of the tank (300SD) with symptoms like yours.  I had to pressure-wash the
inside of the tank and the amount of crap that came out was amazing.  You
can inspect the inside of the tank by removing the fuel gauge and shining a
good (LED) flashlight inside. I new tank will be shiny silver inside.  Black
is bad.  There are commercial places that redo fuel tanks but I never used
one.