I had to size pipe for natural gas on a regular basis, so I’m quite familiar
with flow rates and pressure drops due to pipe lengths.  3” pipe would have
probably been OK for this application, but as you mentioned, it’s cheap and
easy to over engineer, not to mention far better when it might make the
difference between having an indoor swimming pool or not.

There’s a PS to this story, too.

The people who bought the house from us put an in-ground swimming pool in (the
kiss of death, this was Indianapolis!) and in doing so, bisected the line
between the sump and catch basin.  Neighbors told us they saw the contractor
dig it up and pull it out, not knowing what it was.  They said it didn’t appear
that they repaired or replaced it.

Pretty exciting for them when the rainy season started in the spring.  I’m
wondering if the basement flooded (again.)

Dan