I wonder if it's worth having both a submersible and a pedestal in the same hole
if there's room for the bases. Each pump would need its own one way valve before
teeing the pipes together, but if you set the pedestal to come on an inch higher
than the submersible you'd be covered for any failure of the submersible (but
not for total power failure).

When I put my new furnace in, I set in on 11" stacks of concrete blocks.
When I added the indoor coil for a heat pump 2 years later, I had to ditch the
blocks to make room for the extra height. Now it sits on 3/4" of rubber patio
pavers. It turns out my sump never rises above floor level in power failures,
but sometimes rainwater seeps into the basement opposite the sump, and runs past
the furnace to the sump, usually when I forget to replace the outspouts for the
gutters after I mow the yard.

Mitch.