Small legal issue:

The burden of proof lays with the accusing party.  The accused is protected
via Bill of Rights, 5th Article, from being forced to incriminate
themselves, and may legally choose to stand silent.

It appears governments prosecutor failed to produce proof beyond reasonable
doubt at trial, and jury ruled..