My 78 300TD came with a cast iron style check strap mechanism that
eventually broke (lose pieces in the door).  I replaced them with a stamped
steel version (style with the big ball bearings) which were fine as long as
the lube lasted.  Also, cleaning and fresh lube usually brought the stamped
style back to life even after they rusted.