Got a decent start today despite sleeping in until 6:00.

Grille mounted, front and rear bumpers polished, cleaned and mounted along with
the cleaned end caps and brackets. Cleaned and detailed trunk liners on both
sides, cleaned trunk carpet and freshened.  Removed spare tire to find it was
nearly brand new but has a date code of 2004 AND a nice little sheet metal
screw in the edge of the tread.  It holds air for now but I’ll be looking for a
replacement from CL or one of the local used tire resellers.

Touch up paint on the two small rust areas has dried and looks nice - it really
blended in better than I expected.  Now that it’s dry I waxed it and replaced
the trim pieces that cover both areas.  “Red Berries” were already installed on
Wednesday, so it’s was just a matter of popping the trim on the right rear door
and screwing the lower trunk lid trim to the trunk lid.

No rust anywhere in the trunk but signs of leaking noticed near the trailing
edge of the trunk “ceiling” near the right side hinge.  The rear windows seal
is in such bad shape I’m sure that water has gotten into the trunk via the
failed seal, however, it couldn’t have been much as there’s no sign of it on
the floor or in the spare tire well.  I’m not keen about the idea, but I am
seriously considering replacement of the rear window seal myself as I can’t
find anyone around here that will touch it.  I have done windows like it a long
time ago in my VW and W112 days, so it won’t be the first time.  Hmm.

Doing some final checking I found that I must have overfilled the crankcase
slightly when I changed oil last week, so I suctioned about 1/2 quart out.
Whoops!

I replaced the levers on the vacuum switchover valves on the valve cover, as
one was worn away completely and the other was almost gone.  Cleaned the cam of
all the old grease and applied fresh Mobil 1 synthetic grease since I had it
handy.

Took the “whiz nut” off the bolt in the power steering reservoir as it didn’t
belong.  Fortunately the spring was the original one so it was just a matter of
putting everything back together the way it belonged.  Not sure why the whiz
nut was there.

Noticed that the windows had a lot of water spots that I couldn’t clean off.
Hmm.  Jay O’Brien from the old lists had given me this little container of some
polishing compound called “Nuttin’s Better” that was used for polishing
imperfections out of windshields.  I must have used it up or lost it in a move,
so I started looking for alternatives.  A-hah!  Rubbing compound!

So I applied rubbing compound to the glass and polished away.  Looks great and
took all of the water spots off the glass, too.  Nice.

All that’s left for the day is to replace the “Gottlieb Daimler” signature
sticker on the inside of the windshield.  I’ll head out to do that next, then
probably drive over to our private park before sundown to take some glamour
shots.  The stickers can be had from the Classic Center for around $7.00/each -
part number 115 584 08 38.

Tomorrow I may do motor mounts, as I’ve got a set of Lemförder mounts UPS just
delivered.  I’ll clean carpets and interior tomorrow as well.  I need to do the
power steering fluid and fuel filters along with a Diesel Purge, too.  Maybe
that will be on Sunday.

Dan/Martha