We're nearing the end of the VW Diesel-gate buy back process, and now have
the Subaru Legacy that's replacing it, so I thought it was time to add up a
few numbers.

We drove the Passat 34115 miles in 54 months and burned 826.4 gallons of
Diesel fuel. That's an average of 41.3 MPG. There are only two cross
country trips in that, and a couple of shorter trips (Tulsa and mid
Arkansas), so most of the miles are 25 mile round trips into town for
groceries, etc.

The Legacy cost us $3,000 after the VW buy back (yes, I'm counting chickens
before they hatch). We're trading Diesel goodness for all wheel drive and
electronic gismo's out the a$$. SWMBO really likes the back-up camera,
blind spot detection and rear cross traffic alert features. I must admit
that they did help a lot when leaving a crowded parking lot this afternoon
- telling me traffic was coming from both sides as I was trying to back out
of a parking space before I saw them. So far, the Subaru is a bit more
comfortable than the VW was, but neither holds a candle to an old MB.

The newer MB's are still just too expensive for someone who wants to spend
his $'s on airplanes :-), hence the Subaru. Time will tell whether it was a
good decision.

--
OK Don

for themselves."