I was once on a flight from DCA back to BOS and Teddie Kennedy (D-UI) got on the plane and sat next to my boss. Then his idiot nephew Joe got on and walked back to where The Swimmer was seated and says to my boss, "Could you move so I can sit next to my uncle?" in a snotty total a**hole way. It was incredibly embarrassing to everyone around except to them. I think Joe was one of the crowd who raped that woman they picked up at Au Bar in Florida somewhere on their "Traditional Easter Weekend."

On another flight from DCA to BOS The Swimmer was sitting in front of me, pounded 3 scotches before takeoff and 3 more during the flight. Granted mini-bottles, but still... Then as we were getting off the plane, the turns around and sees a woman he knows standing behind me, elbows his way past me, and grabs her in a big sloppy drunk hug, proceeds to grab her a** while hanging on her and plant a wet one on her face. A young woman with her (they were both working on the failed Dukakis campaign. sitting behind me I could hear their conversations) looked at this spectacle in horror, her idol, The Lyin of the Senate, was a total nasty old drunk. He was sorta bumping into me too while doing this, I had a very strong urge to administer a swift quiet kick to the gentleman's region just to get him to stop. I'm sure the women would have loved me forever had I done that right then and there. He was carrying no briefcase, doing no work, just pounding Dewars. Watching him hang on this woman, stumbling up the gangway, was also incredibly embarrassing, and both the two women were horrified. He managed to make it out of the terminal and there was a limo waiting to pour him into it and take him to the nearest bah in Southie.

Teddie has been sober now for several years, and, as usual, Mary Jo has no comment.

--FT