WAYTAGO!   I hope it lasts.

My $25 solution was to find the same base compressor on a rice burner for $25, then swap over the MB specific parts (clutch and speed sensor)

Dan--- via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 19, 2016 at 6:47 AM
Resealed my compressor on the W126 yesterday.

For $21 and a couple hours of work it was an amazingly easy and economical fix to my leaking compressor shaft seal. The system held a vacuum for over two hours when done, and after charging it I'm back to making ice cubes like before. This was especially important this morning on the way to work as it was in the low 70s at 6:00 am with a dew point well above the ambient temperature, meaning I needed the drying action to clear my windshield.

I can't confirm it, but I suspect the compressor is the original that came on the car. It had Mercedes stickers and part numbers on it, even a sticker on the clutch with an MB part number.

Using the you tube videos on disassembly and reassembly it took me about 45 minutes to do the reseal. If I had to do it again it would take less time, but I took my time and rechecked my work to be sure I didn't miss anything.

Other than the oil cooler hoses making for a tight extraction, R&R was pretty easy.

I highly recommend this approach to a leaky compressor shaft seal issue. A couple hours and roughly $21.00 worth of materials saved me the cost of a new compressor ($250).

Dan

Sent from my iPad