in your GP wiring harness, the plug at the relay has six positions. I believe only 5 are used. the ones used are lined with a socket for the pins in the relay. That is what I referred to as a liner in the socket of the plug. I am not familiar with 5 cyl OM602. I know on the 616, only 4 have sockets, on the 617, there are 5 sockets used. On the 603, all six are used, so have sockets (liners) in the plug.

Larry Turner via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 2, 2017 at 6:52 AM
Curley, re: Your comments below talk about 2 things that confuse me - First, you wrote "plug with a liner and ground." Liner? What Liner are you referring to? Also, you said "each of the 4 positions" did you mean to say 5 positions? When first reading your post I thought you were writing about the plug that goes to the 5 GPs. Also, you asked about my Meter - it's a Fluke that retails for around $100 last I checked. It should read the Ohms pretty precisely I hope.

Thanks!

LarryT

91 300D

Curley McLain <mailto:126die...@gmail.com>
December 28, 2016 at 2:30 PM
Here is the entire old post. Philip wrote most of it and I added a few clarifications. It was for 240D, but is applicable.

I made one correction to Philip's post below. What he said, plus a couple of clarifications. Batter voltage should be battery voltage.

1. 240D GP fuse is NOT 20A. It is 50 Amp. You can find them at VW stealers if FLAPS does not have one for you. 5 cyl engines use a bigger one, 60 or 65 amp I think. OM603 and 606 6 cyl use a 80 Amp fuse. Be sure you get the right one. 6 Cyl fuse is 80 Amp 000 545 03 34

2. The GP relay can and does fail in at least 2 ways. a: no light ever as someone said. b: Light on as expected, but does not go out.

To test: Check voltage at battery, post to post, then each post of the GP fuse (to ground) in the relay. If alles ist gut to that point, (~12V) then pull the big plug on the relay, and test within 10 sec of turning the key on, voltage between each of the posts to ground

At this point you will know if you have a bad relay. if voltage is at each end of the fuse, and you have tested the fuse, but there is no volts going to the GPs, then the relay is bad (or your testing procedure is faulty) I like to take the fuse out to test it. If it is bad but looks good, it will fall apart when you take it out. (Best to pull the battery ground when you do this, as there is always voltage to the GP fuse terminals, as was previously pointed out.

While you have the plug off, turn to the lowest ohm scale you have and test between each socket in the plug with a liner and ground. Each of the 4 positions should be 0.7 ohm. .5 to 1.5 is acceptable. (1.2 to 1.4 ohms for pencil type) Most meters won/t give you much definition at that low of a reading. $10 meters will show zero or near zero. This is still good data. if you have a cheap meter and it shows 0 ohms, you either have a good plug or a short to ground plug. If you get infinity or anything higher than 1.7 ohm, you have a failing or open circuit plug.

3. DONT EVER buy a champion glow plug, unless you plan to change it within 1hour to 1 year. They don't last. Buy Bosch or Beru. The Bosch 10 digit number ends with 039. It will be 0 250 xxx 039. Sorry, I forgot the numbers represented by the xxx. Beru is preferred as many Bosch are now chinese.

Larry Turner via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 28, 2016 at 1:56 PM
Thx Kaleb!

Larry Turner via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 28, 2016 at 10:55 AM
Have been searching the net for 80a fuses and not having a lot of luck. Is the dealer the only place to get them? Seems like I could create a fuse holder to accept 80A fuses with wires to go to the screws that should work, right? But I gotta find a 80A fuse (or 2 for a spare). Perhaos I am not using the ruight search description?

LarryT

Peter Frederick via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 28, 2016 at 9:42 AM
80A. They are aluminum, and flex with vibration and heat loading, and eventually fail.

Get two, put one in the glove box for the next time they fail..

Peter