Gerry,

Good to see you!

I used some 3M wheel with these little orange spines. It's probably as
aggressive as a wire wheel, but seems a little gentler, if that makes sense.  I
believe it's called a Scotchbrite radial bristle wheel if memory serves me
correctly.

It did leave some fine scratches, but took a lot of the accumulated grunge off
with minimum effort.

Before I put the wheel to it I cleaned it with a scrub brush and Simple Green,
then popped it in a low oven (170F) to dry it out.

I did the same with the oil filler cap, too.

I'll be interested to see how long it retains the shiny surface. The engine
doesn't have leaks or anything flying around as far as fluids, so I'm hoping it
will stay that way for a while.

For what it's worth I added some wavy washers under the valve cover nuts, too.
There seems to be some confusion as to whether or not there should be a washer
under these (Mercedes says not based on the EPC) but some claim it's necessary
to prevent leakage of oil and oil mist from the valve area.

Dan

Sent from my iPad