Handguns are not a topic I care to broach at home.  Wife had a very unfortunate
incident when she was a kid where her father was accidentally shot with a
handgun that was improperly stored in an overnight bag.  I know it was an
accident and preventable, but it was pretty terrifying to her as she was the
one who was the first responder and had to deal with the trauma.

As a result I defer to her concerns about having a handgun in the house.  It’s
easy to understand why it would freak her out.  It’s not like we live somewhere
that personal protection is a necessity.  If we lived in a rural area with some
distance between ourselves and others I would definitely want some sort of
personal protection in-house.  That would be after she took the proper courses
in proper use and handling, too.

Safety first.

-D