When this happened to me (fill up with gasoline), the test was to connect a
hose to the lift pump and stick the other end into a jug of known good
Diesel.  It started right up after some cranking, the filter still had too
much gas.  Draining the full fuel tank wasn't fun in the winter but that fix
was much better than the worst case.
Scott

BP's