That's why I was wondering if just the injection pump can jump and still have the cam in the original timing. cause the compression is good. The timing device breaking is something I will tell them to check, Though that will require the removal of the front cover. I think. Maybe just do a drip timing check to see where it is.

Manfred

Curley McLain via Mercedes wrote:
If the timing advance device broke, perhaps... Max had an experience with that. Don't know what the symptoms were.

IF the timing chain skips a tooth onthe cam, I think the camshaft and the bearings break. Certainly if it is off 2 or more teeth, the camshaft will become several.

MG via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
February 3, 2017 at 11:26 AM
A friend has an 82 300D which suddenly lost power while going down the road at 55-60. Blew white smoke and died. Supposedly no odd noises. Won't start lots of white smoke coming out the tailpipe that smells like unburned diesel. He did a compression check and says it's OK. I forgot to ask what exactly it is. He has replaced all the fuel filters and bled the injectors. Get fuel with no bubbles when the lines are opened while trying to start. Says the fuse on the glow plugs is good.

What gets me is the sudden loss of power running down the road.
Only thing I can think of is the timing chain but I would think that that would mess up the valves and effect the compression. Can the injection pump jump timing by itself without the valves timing jumping?

Any clues?

Manfred