I once changed all 5 belts on #1 daughter's SL in a hayfield "parking lot" She managed to limp into the event. I got new belts and changed em all. Of course, it was the back ones that broke...

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
February 5, 2017 at 7:45 AM
Actually, the AC compressor wasn’t bad at all. The worst was the alternator. I went slow and applied some Kroil to the adjusting nut so it wouldn’t break.

Found out that the “chirping” I was hearing when I was taking off from a stop was the belts slipping. Did my Sunday morning grocery run at 5:30 like always, and never heard a peep out of the engine. Nice.

-D

Craig via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
February 4, 2017 at 7:21 PM
On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 18:33:10 -0500 Dan Penoff via Mercedes

They are a lot of fun, aren't they? Particularly the A/C compressor!

Craig

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
February 4, 2017 at 5:33 PM
Winter has finally arrived in Florida - it was a balmy 78F with no humidity as it’s been all week. Wonderful weather to work on the car…

Some background:

PO replaced the master cylinder or booster during his ownership, and while doing so slathered brake fluid down the firewall and under the car as it dripped. This stripped pretty much all of the paint and undercoating on the frame rail and area around the trailing rod joint. This was making me nuts since it’s the only place the car has any visible rust, even if it’s only surface rust and you would have to get on your hands and knees to see it - but I knew it was there….

So I scraped all the loose undercoating off to where it was firmly bonded to the frame and cleaned all around the suspension rod joint mounting. I got one of the “kits” that the POR-15 folks sell for $19.00 on the Amazon and used all the chemicals to properly prep and paint the surface. After it got tacky I sealed it all up with some 3M Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating. Nice.

While I was under the car and poking around I noticed the belts on the alternator were really loose. Hmm. Power steering belt wasn’t bad, but AC compressor belt was loose, too. Fortunately, this was a job I had anticipated since so much of the rubber and soft parts on this car are tired due to age and lack of use.

So off I went to loosen all the belts and replace them. Arrgh. All I can say is if there was a conversion kit to change an OM617 from fractional horsepower belts to a serpentine belt, I would be all over it. Luckily I didn’t encounter any issues with the funky alternator adjusting bolt. I got to dig out my Krikit belt tension gauge and put it to work - probably the first time in 15 years I’ve used it. What a great tool.

Lastly, in the middle of the POR-15 stuff since I had to rinse, dry, etc., etc., I prepped and painted my wiper arms as they were pitted and had a little rust and after all was done I installed them with new Bosch wiper blades to replace the (gasp!) Rain-X wiper blades.

Needless to say I took a pre-emptive dose of my 800mg time release ibuprofen. I’m thinking I’ll be paying for this in the morning. Low impact tomorrow, just car washing.

-D