> Here in SC the deal is the new "owner" sends a registered

letter to the last registered owner's address, I think the letter basically
> says that if the registered owner doesn't respond in 90 days or some time
> period, the state will cancel the old title and issue a new title to the
> new owner.  Once the 90 days are up with no response to the state, new
> owner can get a new title issued.

Essentially that is the drill here in WA, or was when I procured the
Frankenheap.
The registered letter was returned
No-Such-Person-Here-No-Forwarding-Address.
The unopened letter was all I needed to get the car titled in my name,
essentially
immediately.

-- Jim