I didn't lap them at all neither by tongue nor by some other abrasive, just
cleaned and put them back together.  What would be the proper method for
lapping, some abrasive like valve grinding compound on a plate of glass?

I used diesel purge to try to clean them at first, and then as the assembly
lube.  Diesel purge didn't really cut the carbon like I had hoped, but
brake cleaner did a pretty good job of loosening it up.

Car ran very nicely this a.m. except for the uneven idle, but then that is
how it would perform before after a diesel purge treatment.

Max
Charleston SC