49 or H8

Floyd Thursby via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
April 26, 2017 at 9:29 AM
What battree does the 300SEL use? Will the Group99 (diesel) battree fit the tray?

-FT

Dan--- via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
April 26, 2017 at 9:20 AM
At this point I would just get some fresh fuel in it and hit the key. Worry about the details if it won't start.

-D

Sent from my iPad

Floyd Thursby via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
April 26, 2017 at 9:18 AM
Exactly my thought. Wouldn't that be something, pop in a bushing or two and it's good to go... It did have fluid in it and didn't smell burned so that part seemed OK. I'll have to wait until I get it where I can get it lifted. I think my friend might let me put it in her barn so that would be a good place to work on it.

I need to get a battery for it too, get a filter and see about gas. Any thoughts on resurrecting that aspect to see if the engine will run after so long?

--FT

Dan--- via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
April 26, 2017 at 9:09 AM
Check the shift linkage bushings before you do anything else. And fluid level, of course.

Fun!

-D

Sent from my iPad

Floyd Thursby via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
April 26, 2017 at 9:03 AM
Max and I went and looked at the POSEL300 yesterday. The kid wanted $300 for it, said the tranny was bad, had sat for 5 or 6 years. It was in surprisingly good shape, body very good, paint starting to fade a bit on top (calling MarthaPoos), interior not too bad though one window was down with a tarp in it and another was down about an inch, but it wasn't moldy or anything. Fairly clean. Gave him $200 for it, gonna go pick it up this afternoon or tomorrow with my trailer. It is a sorta brown/bronze color, not too dark. I'll have to run the VIN.

As we were leaving we noticed a 126 sitting at a tow yard across the street. We went over to take a look at it, really nice maroon 500SEL that someone had hit 2 palmettos on the RF and completely destroyed it, they had just towed it in. Tow guy said it was on Keewaw. Blood on driver airbag, he said the driver was in the hospital. I asked about buying the hulk, thinking a 500->300SEL swap... He said they would have to wait for insco to sort it out, call back in a week. I'll keep track of it, see if the engine/tranny looks intact. I tried to track down who it might have belonged but no luck so far.

I am supposing that swapping about any 126 engine into a 126 chassis should be fairly straightforward? Wilton/Max's dizzel (though from diff chassis)? This POSEL could be a fairly nice car maybe. Or if we can get the engine running, is the 300 tranny anything special to that engine or will any 126 tranny fit? Or maybe the tranny problem is something simple, the kid said it just quit working, would not go into F or R, which does not sound like a progressive failure. i wonder if the shifter is working.

I got plates for the 560SEC yesterday so gonna get that beeste on the road and having some fun.