Got to thinking (always dangerous) ...

When I put in the new power steering filter yesterday afternoon ('77 240D),
there was nothing that I saw to indicate which side went up. I guessed and
at 2 am this morning suddenly realized that I'd probably guessed wrong.

Over the lunch hour, I drained the fluid (it was already pretty dirty from
mixing in with what was in the lines) and this time put the filter in with
the plate on the top. I then did NOT use the plate that I'd removed with the
factory (?) filter.

Is the plate side of the filter supposed to be on the top? In case anyone is
wondering, I did look thru the maintenance CDs but couldn't find anything
beyond how to check the fluid level. Nothing on the filter itself.

--
1977 240D
1983 VW Quantum turbo diesel 5-speed

http://www.airamericaradio.com/listen