In Michigan the threshold is 25 years, but they count slightly differently than
I do. In December 2011, my 1986 201.034 was 25 years old, must buy a regular
plate. In January 2012, it was over 25 years old and I could buy a historic
vehicle plate. At least that's what a woman at the Secretary of State's office
told me in 2011.

I just looked it up. The SoS website now says the vehicle must be 26 years old,
which makes sense in light of what I wrote above. It still must be renewed
every ten years and the fee is $30, or $3 a year.

A historical vehicle must be:

    26 or more years old
    Owned solely as a collector's item
    Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car
shows

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585_1595_52364-204909--,00.html

Note: A vehicle registered with a historical or authentic plate cannot be used
for routine, day-to-day transportation.

Mitch.