I should have thought that red MB convertible that you had (maybe still have) would have fit that bill pretty nicely given where you live. The reason I am reluctant to buy a newer boat has a lot to do with the cost of one. I would not use it enough to justify the cost. If I had a $40K boat I would be paying a lot for insurance and I would be much more worried about it getting scratched up while tied at the dock etc. I don't mind being something of a bottom feeder for boats although I have been looking at ones that run closer to $10K. I really do not want a fancy fiberglass thing with lots of upholstery. I would rather have a more rugged aluminum boat but they do not seem as common around here and they hold their value well so the cost would likely be closer to $20K for a decent one and that is getting beyond what I really want to spend on a boat. The newer 4 stroke outboards are nice but expensive and the cost of repairs will be substantial if it goes bad too. Bigger older 2 stroke motors use too much fuel so I have generally been looking at 4 or 6 cylinder inboard outboards.

I don't think safety is a big issue with a boat. No seat belts or air bags etc. Speed is probably the biggest issue with boats. There are lots of them that will exceed 70 mph and that is sort of silly. I have no need to go that fast on the water. Accidents happen but are more avoidable on open water. Failure to pay attention is the most likely cause. A 20 foot boat is big enough for the waters we use and still small enough to fairly easily launch and retrieve etc. The only real issue is reliability as I don't want to be out on the lake and have the motor give up. We would have a smaller auxiliary outboard engine but it would take some time to come home. Cell phone coverage is ok so we could possibly call for help and get someone to come tow us in. I don't think of that as a safety item however in comparison to cars. Old cars are generally not as safe as newer cars - especially if one goes back into the 50's and 60's. I know Mercedes was a leader in designing safer cars but the old ones generally cannot match the newer ones.

I am rambling so I will stop now.

RB