Dan wrote:

"I saw a Ford Exploder get nailed one time when they started to cross a six
lane road from the side road on a green light and a dump truck came through at
speed from the other direction and T-boned the Exploder.  I am sure the
Exploder driver was seriously injured if not killed.  I called 911 after seeing
the impact.  It was not something I ever want to see again."

As an attorney that has investigated and litigated lots of car accidents for
both the plaintiff and the defendant, I have seen WAY too many fatal or
catastrophic car accidents.  I have learned a few things:

1. While high speeds can lead to tragic results, most fatal accidents I have
seen are not related to excessive speeds.  Many of them involved highway
speeds, but very few truly excessive speeds.    The few exceptions were usually
in one car accidents where the driver is driving at excessive speeds and loses
control.

2.  Most serious car accidents are (as expected) usually attributable to simple
negligence.  Somebody is not paying attention and bad crashes happen.  It is
not usually outrageous conduct.

4.  Distracted drivers are nearly as bad as impaired drivers.

5. Larger and safer vehicles do protect the occupants.

6.  Large does not always equal safe.

7.  All of the anecdotal evidence from groups like this is based in fact.
Mercedes, BMWs, and Volvos do hold up better in crashes.

8. The increases in the use of air bags (side, head, etc) is helping.

9.  Roll over crashes seem to be less frequent.

10.  Big trucks (semis) kill.  They are dangerous.  We need to transport more
by railroad.  But, until railroad transportation can get as cheap and fast
Semi's, we are going to continue to have to share the road with Semis.

11.  Many people don't respect a Semi and and don't give them enough room and
many drivers don't understand the amount of time and room it takes to maneuver
and stop a semi.

In summary, Drive a MB, BMW, or Volvo.  Drive carefully and pay attention.  The
other drivers are idiots.

Don Snook