I have heard stories about the Nissan Z cars having a pseudo-MB engine in them
but always wondered how true this was. Is there anything that supports the
claim?

Just curious, as I worked on a number of them and would find it interesting to
know that early in my life I was working on MB engines and didn't even know
it....

-D