The only difference I could see is that the MB had the Star on the valve cover and was designated as a rare Zundfogle engine where the datsun had a plain valve cover. THe MB distributor said Bosch, where the Datsun said Nippondenso. Once you took off the valve cover, everything looked identical (except the plate on the distr.) I am sure the bore and stroke were changed to make a 2.4 out of the 2.2 L M180. I think the 4 cyl pickup was 2.0L, so could have been identical to the M120.

I never tried to interchange any engine parts, but it appeared that the whole valve train was interchangeable. I had a M120 in a parts car at the same time I had the Datsun pickup.
Dan--- via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
June 7, 2017 at 10:10 AM
I have heard stories about the Nissan Z cars having a pseudo-MB engine in them but always wondered how true this was. Is there anything that supports the claim?

Just curious, as I worked on a number of them and would find it interesting to know that early in my life I was working on MB engines and didn't even know it....

-D