Been there several times as a kid.  Nowhere near as flamboyant as it is now, so
I understand.  Pretty beat up, seedy and rough around the edges when I was
there as a kid.  I was not impressed.  Dad was a big Ernest Hemingway fan, so
we would take day trips down there in the Beechcraft from our place on Sanibel
to visit the Hemingway house and eat at the Turtle Bar.

I remember the beater cars that were all over the island with their keys in the
ignition.  If you wanted to go somewhere, you just jumped in, drove to your
destination and parked it for the next person.

Rode the Conch Train and got pictures taken at the southernmost point of the US
as I recall, too.

We used to go on the Navy base there as Dad had a buddy that was stationed
there.  Got to see the huge pile of “rafts” (and I use that word loosely) that
the Cubans would use to try and make it across the Straights of Florida.  The
Coasties moored there, too, and they would bring these things up on the cutters
and just pile them up on the docks.  Boards or pallets lashed to inner tubes,
stuff like that.  Scary stuff thinking about going across 60 miles of open
water on one of those.  I often wondered how many of them never made it.

-D