http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/08/solar-industrys-new-dirty-secret/

*It’s no secret
<http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2010/03/are-your-solar-panels-toxic>
that manufacturing solar panels often requires toxic heavy metals,
explosive gases, and rare-earth elements that come from shoddy mines in
war-torn republics. But here’s a surprise: The solar industry is actually
getting dirtier in some respects. The latest Solar Scorecard
<http://www.solarscorecard.com/2013/index.php> from the Silicon Valley
Toxics Coalition (SVTC), released last week, reports that the industry has
slipped on several key environmental metrics, with many solar-panel
manufacturers now refusing to provide any information about their
manufacturing practices at all.*