I did business down there in the late 90s from an office in Pompano Beach.
There was a boatload of business in Dade County we never saw, so the company’s
owner wanted me to go down there and try and get some of it - mostly
government/municipal stuff.

I called on a purchasing guy in Dade County government. He laughed at me when I
said we wanted to do business with the County.  He pretty much told me that the
likelihood of gringos like me doing business there would never happen.  Even if
we tried to buy the business (lowball) they would throw us out because we
didn’t have a business presence in the County.  He went so far as to
congratulate me for having the biggest pair of cohones he had ever seen on a
gringo for coming in and thinking we could do business there. So I had that
going for me…

It’s so bad that our company’s territory was the whole state of Florida except
Dade County.  There was a Cuban refugee that owned a company in Miami who was
our distributor there, and that’s the only territory he had.  That gives you
some idea of how completely different the economy and culture is down there.
I’m sure it hasn’t changed.

-D