It’s been my experience that the “handoff” services, that is, the ones who use
the USPS to do the last mile delivery, are usually lacking in speed.  UPS has a
low budget service (“UPS Innovations”, I believe) that does this.  My only
experience with DHL has been stuff coming from the Fatherland which transitions
to the USPS when it gets Stateside.  That hasn’t been bad at all.

While I realize you might not have the choice, I really like USPS Priority
Mail.  When I’m sending my own stuff I can use my free boxes and print out
postage from home.  The only issue, which isn’t typically a big deal for me, is
the handoff to the carrier.  If it’s during the week I work four blocks from a
major post office, so I just drop off the package.  If it’s the weekend I just
keep an eye out for my carrier, as you can’t leave boxes out for pickup - they
have to be handed to the carrier in person.

Here’s a bit of USPS trivia that will affect your mail:  If you don’t put a
return address on an envelope or package, they perform additional security
checks on the item that will delay it.

-D