I had the same exact problem in my 1985 300td. After a torrential rainstorm
the car basically flooded. Eventually it was diagnosed as a torn grommet
for I believe the speedometer cable or some such. If not that, check the
drains under the hood. In the 300td there's a drain on either side of the
hood hinges that are designed to catch leaves and make compost in situ.