From: Rich Thomas [mailto:richthomas79td...@constructivity.net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 11:59 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] OT Tractor/trailer trailer size

I have been sorta intrigued by these tiny houses that are becoming popular.
Most of them seem to be built on like a 16ft utility trailer so they can be
moved around to a semi-permanent location.  While some of them are pretty nice,
it kinda makes me wonder why not just buy a travel trailer or something for
cheap and live in that.  But whatever, I kinda like them as they look more like
a real house.

I got to thinking about the size issue and it seemed that building one on a
larger trailer, like a 3-car hauler or something, would work better.  I see
these things that will haul 19k lb, they sit kinda low, 3 axles, gooseneck, so
that seems like a better kind of deal, instead of a 8X16ft house you could have
say a 8X32ft house on a trailer, pretty much like a narrower single-wide.

This morning I saw this big bus motor home RV thing, it was HUGE!  I'm guessing
12ft tall anyway, probably has 8ft headroom inside and storage bins underneath,
big pusher dizzel engine.  But those are quite spendy, even used ones are like
$100k or more. I'm guessing those things are like 40ft long, so a lot of room.
I rode in one once that bands used for touring, it was really nice, granite
kitchen and marble bathroom etc.

So then I was driving home and was sitting next to a semi with a trailer that
said "53ft" on the side, that is pretty big.  I'm guessing the trailer is 8ft
wide, and maybe 8ft headroom inside, which is kinda like a shipping container,
and people use containers to build houses now.
Containers I think are up to 40ft for a double?  So either a trailer or a
container would make a nice "tiny" house too.  So then I was thinking one of
those low-floor moving van trailers would be even better, more headroom, loft
space.  Either buy an old trailer and fix it up, or buy a low-frame (or an
equipment hauler low trailer) with the axles and tars and breaks and what not
already in place, then build a "tiny" house on that -- more size, more
headroom, etc.  And even if you had to buy an old tractor to pull it around, or
hire that job out, you could have a larger, nicer "tiny" house than a
single-wide. And some of those equipment trailers have wings that fold out to
give maybe 12ft wide for a wide load, so that would allow a larger "tiny"
house, I guess moving it would require some permit or something but still...

So that got me thinking about how tall a trailer can be, I'm thinking maybe
12ft max to clear bridges and stuff on the road, or can they go a bit higher?
I see those big trailers driving with a pace car with a pole to hit something
before the truck would, and warn it off the bridge or whatever.  I guess if you
weren't hauling a taller "tiny" house too far you could get by with something
taller?

My lunch-time musings, but ideas accepted.  I'm wondering if there would be a
market for larger "tiny" houses built to a spec that was much better than your
average single-wide.  Make a good lake house, or cabin in the woods, or even a
starter home that would be less than buying from a developer or used, esp if
someone had a lot?  They could even be designed to gang up to get a bigger
house, like a double-wide or even with wings that went off the sides.

--R