Bought a '83 300D a couple of weeks ago with the odo showing 125k, which
may be right based on the interior condition. Plan on making it a daily
driver as I just spent $1,000 for a rebuilt fuel distributor and governor
on my '91 300CE and it needs some more things. Parts are expensive on
small production run cars. On the 300D there is a thump that sounds almost
like a knot on the tire but it stops with firm braking. The brake wear
indicator light in on and the front pads do need replacing but thy are not
in the metal, with a little less than 1/4 inch of pad showing. My guess is
a warped rotor. Another point, the car looks to have had a front end
collision. It is a new repaint but the hood fit shows some body work has
been done on the front fenders. Any ideas?

Alan Duff
Knoxville, TN