Alan Duff wrote:
On the 300D there is a thump that sounds almost like a knot on the tire but it stops with firm braking. The brake wear indicator light in on and the front pads do need replacing but thy are not in the metal, with a little less than 1/4 inch of pad showing. My guess is a warped rotor.

Could be. Missing anti-rattle springs on the pads can also cause a rhythmic clunk at low speeds that stops when you press on the brake pedal, in my experience. It sounds like you need a brake job anyway, so I'd start there.