I don't use R12 but what I do use goes to 39 at those temps. Consider that Mercedes puts a low temp sensor in the evaporator to keep it from freezing up. It shuts off the Compressor at 39.

We used to fill the R12 till there was no foam to be seen. A couple of small bubbles are OK but mostly I looked for a clear black field with no bubbles.

MG

Craig via Mercedes wrote:
Getting ready for our trip to Texas tomorrow, I have been adding R-12 to
the E300D's A/C system. Having added a can (Kaleb sent me one) I still
have bubbles in the sight glass. With OAT 75 - 80 deg.F., I have a center
air vent temperature of 55.

How cold is it supposed to get?

Craig

P.S. Why did they put the low-side connector under the vacuum line to the
     brake booster and other vacuum lines, with the fitting pointed up?