But I was surprised to hear, from the Doktor, that some of those $10k prices
might actually be warranted.

Not really if you stop to think about, with maybe a parts
catalog for reference.  If you love such a car, and want it
to be in near-new condition you can buy one for $10k (say),
or spend $12k-20k (if not more) making one yourself.  Auto
restorers see this all the time.

The balancing act is to determine what you can be happy with,
matching your finances, abilities, and interests against what
is out there, and then buy it.  What _I'm_ looking for is
radically different than the no-the-ashtray-is-dirty brigade.

-- Jim